Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Signing Books at #Mashpee Commons! #haunting #romance Cape Cod #CapeCod

Market Street Bookshop in
Mashpee Commons
Another event in my busy and exciting summer—I’ll be signing copies of my new release, HAUNTED SOULS, at Market Street Bookshop in Mashpee Commons on Saturday, August 13th, from 12:00 noon – 2:00 p.m.  All my older titles will be available for sale and signing as well…SILVER LAKE and GULL HARBOR, both #1 Kindle Bestsellers, and DIVINE FALL, an award-winning Young Adult novel.  If you’re on Cape Cod for the weekend, or the summer, or year-round, come by and get some new beach reads!  And signed books make both great gifts and great souvenirs of your time on the Cape.  You can find the book store on, you guessed it…Market Street…right next to Trevi Restaurant and the big fountain.  More info can be found at this link for Mashpee Commons.  If you've never visited the Commons, you're in for a treat, it's a beautiful and quaint spot right in the heart of Mashpee.

Front page of the Arts section
of the Mashpee Enterprise!
I’m thrilled that our local newspaper published an article on the new release and my writing career recently, mentioning the book signing event as well as some upcoming classes I’ll be teaching.  The article discusses the initial inspiration for this story: a ghost tour I went on with my sister in Cape Cod’s Barnstable Village, which started and ended at the Old Jail.

I’d never even heard of the Old Jail, and it’s truly a historic gem.  It’s the oldest wooden jail house in the entire country, actually, and is thought to have been built in 1690, on orders from the Plymouth and MA Bay Colony Courts.  The structure itself is quite small, containing three cells which held large numbers of people sometimes.  According to our guide, conditions were rough and people had to take turns lying down to sleep when cells were crowded.  As you can imagine, many people died, and the site is considered actively haunted. 

On our tour, we were shown photographs with shadowy figures taken by volunteers who work in the jail house.  A few of the volunteers shared their stories as well, and one claimed that a ghost had followed them home and engaged in some poltergeist-like activities.  Well, that got my attention right way, and my imagination started churning.  My sister had her little daughter with her, and I started to wonder what would happen if a young child with sensitive abilities took pity on a lost soul, and actually invited a ghost to come home with them.  The initial idea was born.

Of course, my stories also have a romantic element, and that aspect turned out perfectly suited for Cape Cod as well, since it soon became clear to me that the male main character in my story was in the military—and Joint Base Cape Cod hosts a number of branches.  There are some pretty steamy scenes as Brett, an EOD tech, reunites with the one woman he could never forget.  But can they overcome their past?

You can find the blurb to the book here and the full news article online at this link.  Hope to see you at the signing…and stay tuned, I have more big news ahead!  A teaser: I’ll be signing books with my childhood idol and the queen of suspense…Mary Higgins Clark!  Check back for more info!


2 comments:

  1. Kathryn, I'm also a TWRP author, and my time travel romance DARK BREW was just released, set on the Cape--I have a place in Brewster. I have a scene in the story where the characters take the tour of the Gaol in Barnstable! I'd be happy to host you on my blog, pls. Email me, Diana@dianarubino.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic coincidence! Looking forward to connecting, thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete