Sunday, March 22, 2020

Trying to Keep My Sanity during #SocialDistancing #writerslife #amwriting #amblogging #fitness

As an author, I'm somewhat used to isolating myself...it's impossible to get a novel written, edited, and proofed otherwise.  But there's a very different feeling about it when the choice to go out is no longer available.  Especially since my other job--teaching classes at a gym--is often the thing that gets me away from the keyboard for a while every day.  Teaching group exercise doesn't just help keep me fit...it helps keep my mind healthy.  I teach a lot of different classes, and most involve my full concentration throughout the hour, which means I am forced to tune everything else out.  I literally cannot think about to-do lists, plot issues, or even big--sometimes devastating--problems that may be going on in my life.  If I let my mind wander, I forget to cue the intricate moves of step aerobics or lose the next part of a dance.  It's almost like therapy for me, and I always come out feeling better.  Before and after classes, I get to socialize with the members, many of whom are now good friends.  I've been teaching now for almost 30 years, and at the same gym the last 20 (!!!!), so my routine is firmly ingrained.  The longest I have taken off is a few weeks after having my kids.


Yoga by the bay last summer...
if only the sun would come out!
And now things have changed drastically, for me and our members.  I'm working hard to adjust and to do what I can to keep our fitness community active and connected.  So far what that includes is teaching classes in an empty room in front of a computer, using the Zoom app to allow members to join in remotely.  It's not ideal, but it's something.  

I do wish I was in the middle of writing a novel right now, but for me, writing a novel takes about a year, and I just finished Ghost Moon recently.  I've been kept busy proofing and line-editing, but now that I've signed off on the galley copy, it's just a waiting period until the book releases on April 15th (if you like steamy romance mixed with ghost mysteries, you can pre-order a Kindle copy now...and I have six other titles that are currently available to help keep readers entertained...my Amazon author page is here).  Usually I give myself a few months before diving back in, and I don't have an idea right now anyway...so at least I can write here on my blog, and do promotional work from home.

Speaking of promotion, I did organize an event that's coming up soon, and it might end up helping people pass time during this quarantine period.  On April 1st, I'll be sharing links to an audiobook "listen to review" event, where people can choose from over 30 titles in the Romance, Suspense, Paranormal, and Thriller categories and request a code to listen for FREE!  If you haven't tried audiobooks, now might be a good time.  I listen while I garden, fold laundry, clean, take walks, etc. - all things most of us may be doing a lot of in the next month.  This is an event through Story Origin, a free site that just requires an (also free) account to get started...find it here.  If you want to get my newsletter on April 1st with the audio promo details and link, you can sign up here or check back on my blog! 

Beyond trying to keep a fragile tether to my old schedule, I'm also trying to navigate having everyone home all day, when usually that's my time to write in solitude.  My high school son is home with no actual graded work assigned, and my college son is home for the remainder of the semester, due to begin online classes.  It's a lot of together time, but we've been taking turns selecting movies or shows to watch together.  I ordered a bunch of puzzles today, and most importantly, a puzzle board, so that our two cats can't flip the pieces from the table, which would result in the dog probably eating them.


Three adorable troublemakers...


Group texts with friends and family are a blessing...we're all trying to lighten each other's spirits daily with funny posts.  Social media is a double-edged sword--I enjoy the connection, but it's easy to get overwhelmed with the gravity of the situation and feel scared, sad, and helpless.

So, I'll gear up to release this next book, and spend time posting here.  Living on Cape Cod, there are many places to explore, and I hope to take advantage of that if the weather would just clear.  Our seasons pretty much skip spring. 

For anyone who needs some exercise inspiration, I've linked a list of my past Friday Fitness posts in the event they might help people.  In particular, Posts 1 - 3 offer suggestions on different exercises and training methods.

Links to a round-up of my fitness posts

Last but in no way least...I'm getting in more reading!  That's my favorite pastime and the reason I became a writer.  Of course, I hope readers will check out my novels, but since I'm an avid reader myself, I make an annual *completely unbiased* list of my favorite reads of the year.  Here's my list of Favorite Reads of 2019, which also links back to other years.  I read a variety of genres, so you'll find everything from nonfiction to legal thrillers to psychological suspense to horror to YA to...you get the idea.

Thanks to all who stopped by...I hope you're well.  Stay safe.  Be kind to yourself.  These are unprecedented times.  We'll get through it.


You know what else helps????  Wine!


No comments:

Post a Comment