Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Exploring #Truro for #Book 7! #CapeCod #Travel #ghosts #romance #amwriting

Spectacular view from the Pamet Cranberry Bog Trail
Truro, MA
Sometimes I get my inspiration from a place, like when I visited the Old Jailhouse and came up with the idea for Haunted Souls.  And sometimes I decide on the setting first...and on a few occasions, some very odd coincidences have made me believe I made the right choice.  Like when I decided my debut novel, Silver Lake, was going to be set in Connecticut, in a lake district outside of NYC.  In particular, I knew I was basing my fictional lake on some of the lakes surrounding Candlewood Lake.  Having never been there, I was a little nervous about this, but I had a good reason for choosing the location.  I started reading books on the area, and then the strangest thing happened...my 8-year-old's club baseball team qualified for a tournament...right near Candlewood Lake.  I did some research in advance, and between games, we visited the spots I needed to see to make the setting come to life.


Ballston Beach in Truro
My seventh book needed to be somewhere particularly isolated.  I set a lot of my books on Cape Cod, where I've lived for 20 years, and since our peninsula is already somewhat cut off from the mainland (you can only get here via car by crossing one of two bridges), I knew I could find a location that would work.  

Doing a few quick searches, I learned Truro is the least populated town on Cape Cod, with about 2,000 year-round residents.  It's not the smallest town land-wise, but over half the town is undeveloped, protected land, and the population density is less than 100 people per square mile.  To get there takes over an additional hour from the two Cape Cod bridges.


Pamet Trail...Pamet is a Native American word for the area

So, my story was set...but I hadn't spent much time in Truro.  We've been to Wellfleet, the town south of Truro, many times (Gull Harbor is set there, although the town of Gull Harbor is fictional).  Wellfleet not only boasts beautiful beaches that are part of the Cape Cod National Seashore, but it has a quaint harbor town, a drive-in movie theater, a big flea market, and the Beachcomber restaurant/bar.  North of Truro is Provincetown, another destination spot we enjoy.  P-Town offers vast, incredible sand dunes (also part of the protected National Seashore), Commercial St. with its colorful crowds, shops, restaurants, galleries, eclectic shows and street art, quaint houses, and wonderful bike trails.


Old King's Highway in Truro.  Not the usual version of a
highway!  Unsure what we would have done if faced with
a car coming the other way...but all was quiet.
But Truro has mostly, for us, been a town we drive through to get to P-Town.  And that's the way the majority of residents want it--there are no fast food chains, no shops, no main street to stroll along.  It almost like being in another world...a beautiful, peaceful oasis.

So, I put more exploration on my list of things to do, but again, it's not right around the corner.  But then an old friend (think 40 years...we've known each other since 6th grade) messaged me to let me know he was on Cape.  Staying at a relative's place, in Truro.  Another wow, that seems like fate moment.


First Congregational Church of Truro, founded 1709
My husband and I made plans to spend the day in Truro and meet up with my friend for dinner this past Sunday, and I'm sharing the pictures I took for research.  I'll avoid spoilers, but I will say this book is, like most of my novels, a ghost mystery/romance with some history sprinkled in.  So of course a graveyard was on the list of places we needed to go, in addition to the beaches and trails.  If you ever get a chance to visit this beautiful town, don't miss it!  And if you'd like to keep up with news about this new novel (Ghost Moon), sign up for my newsletter over on the right-hand side of this page!


Very old headstones at First Church of Truro

No comments:

Post a Comment