Thursday, October 27, 2022

Celebrating #NationalBlackCatAppreciationDay & Researching Superstitions! Love my #blackcats #Rescue #cats

 

Max and Jinx <3
It’s black cat appreciation day!  I absolutely love black cats…I have had many in the past, and I have 2 brothers right now.  Most people ask if this is due to my fascination with the paranormal, as most of my novels involve spooky ghost mysteries.  And that’s probably part of it—but a few other things weigh in.  For one thing, I think black cats are beautiful.  But I also am a strong supporter of pet rescue and adoption, and black cats are over-represented at shelters, which could be in part because many people are consciously or even subconsciously affected by the superstition surrounding black cats.  So, today’s post is dedicated to how this idea that black cats are unlucky came about.

The ancient Egyptians believed cats had magical powers, and regarded them as sacred.  In fact, they worshiped a feline goddess known as Bastet.  On the other hand, Druids feared cats.  All cats are nocturnal and appear dark as they creep through the night, sure-footed and stealthy even with no light to see by.  This gave all cats a mystical aura, but the color black has often been associated with sinister forces.



Black cats, along with bats and spiders, have long been considered by some to be bad omens.  Some cultures believed witches could turn into cats in order to avoid capture.  Black cats were also thought to be familiars—low ranking demons tasked with serving and protecting a witch.

Even with a limited understanding of diseases, societies throughout history were also able to see the connection between cats and outbreaks of plague.  Cats control rodent populations, and rats are carriers of many diseases deadly to humans.  This added to the idea that cats had powers beyond human comprehension.

Thus, an association with witchcraft and the occult, superstition, fear, and awe combined to make black cats a symbol of Halloween, the night when the barrier between the paranormal and physical worlds grows thin.

So, there you have it…a few reasons black cats are considered unlucky by some.  Personally, I cross paths with my Max and Jinx dozens of times each day, and so far I’m no worse for the wear.  So celebrate your beautiful black cats!  


And, if you enjoy a little spooky suspense like me, check out some of my ghost mystery/romance novels…The Haunting of Hillwood Farm, Haunted Souls, Ghost Moon, Silver Lake, and Gull Harbor...perfect for this Friday the 13th...and if you're wondering why people fear the number 13 and especially Friday the 13th, see my post on that here!



1 comment:

  1. I only had two cats in my life time (allergies) but both were great cats lived to be 20 and 22 years old and both were solid black. Loved those cats!

    ReplyDelete